Friday, December 31, 2010

Day 7

day 7- a picture of someone/something that has the biggest impact on you

This is Wallace Gregory Conyers. 
Mr. C. 

I met Mr. C when I was in the 6th grade. He needed help with yardwork, so a friend and I would do his lawn once a week. Later, my brother and I began doing the work together. We grew really close to Mr. C. 
Mr. C was diagnosed with lung cancer, and had part of one lung removed. He was on an oxygen machine and needed the help of my brother and I more than ever. We did a lot to help him out, and we didn't mind helping him. He always was smiling and was such fun to be around. He would tell us all kinds of stories, and he was just a joy to be around; we would spend hours of our day with him. 
He often told us stories of his high school sweetheart, an Italian girl, Jeanne. Oh, how he loved to talk about Jeanne! Walking home from his house one night, my brother and I decided to try to get in contact with her. We wrote to her old college, and they gave us her address and married name. We used those to find her phone number. We called her that night, (it was around 10:00 at night), and explained the situation. We then ran to Mr. C's house and gave him the phone number, and told him to call it, leaving with no further explanation. 
Jeanne and Mr. C had uncannily similar lives. They both moved to the same areas of New York in the same year. Jeanne moved to Tennessee the same year Mr. C moved to Florida. Jeanne and her husband got divorced the same year Mr. C's wife passed away. And the same time of the "reunion", one of Jeanne's sons was moving to our town, Jacksonville. I'm not even making this stuff up; it was like a living Nicholas Sparks novel. (Coincidentally, the first time I talked with Jeanne, she said the EXACT same thing!) 
They started talking on the phone, writing letters to each other, etc. Mr. C would send Jeanne flowers and it was all very sweet. Finally, she came down to Jacksonville in the Spring Break of 2010, after a couple of failed attempts, and stayed with her son in Jax Beach. My brother, Mr. C, and I stayed at a hotel nearby. We let Jeanne and Mr. C spend their time together, and it was amazing. They were still very much in love, and were romantic to each other, and it was like a fairy tale ending. Unfortunately, the week passes and Jeanne had to leave. But they continued to talk after that, until Mr. C unexpectedly passed away in August. 

Mr. C was the most amazing man I ever met. He was a retired teacher, an ex-Marine, and track coach. He was such an amazing track coach that people would fly him to their homes to train their daughters. He was extremely funny, always had a smile, and was proud of his Irish heritage. 

Mr. C was the most amazing man I have ever met, and shall always be. 
I love you Mr. C.




Pin It

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful story Chelsea. Now I know the full story of Mr. C. What a great person you are to do this for him, and with such selflessness. The world needs more people like you in it.
    Yours,
    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a sweet post. and i agree with scoot, the world needs more people like you.
    -kellie

    ReplyDelete