Saturday, November 19, 2011

Define Yourself (A mini-rant)

For those who know me, I am a very tolerable person. There aren't many things I dislike or many things that bug me, but there is one thing that really grinds my gears. This may be an "unpopular opinion", but I can't stand it when I see other people letting their significant other define them, particularly when your signigicant other is in the military. I see many young women who are seem to heavily define themselves based off of their boyfriends/fiances/husbands jobs, and it bothers me.

One thing I see are blogs who are solely dedicated to their man's job, and to me, it just doesn't seem right. Honestly, I would think it a little weird if Daniel had an entire blog dedicated to the fact that I'm an engineering student or something along those lines. There is much more to you than what your guy or gal does for a living, you are your own individual.

And yes, I also know that being in a relationship with someone in the military is hard, and some people seem to wear that as a badge of sorts, but many relationships are difficult. It also bothers me when people 'wear' the fact that their guy is in the military as another sort of badge. Like with those "Proud military girlfriend" t-shirts and similar merchandise, like I said previously, that's like having your boyfriend's job define you. Be proud of your loved one, but be proud of them no matter what they do. Would you still have that sense of pride if they were doing another profession, and were never in the military?

I guess this is the end of my rant. I hope nothing I said offended anybody, that was not nor ever will be my intention.


Pin It

2 comments:

  1. too bad you wear a army bracelet and you feel naked without it 24/7 in honor of what you so called boytoy, the person who doesn't care a thing about you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are obviously a sad and misinformed individual to say such accusations about my relationship with Daniel.

      First, I wear the bracelet in honor of both my younger brother and Daniel, who are both in the Army. In fact, the bracelet I currently wear was given to me by my brother.

      Second, I don't know where this "boytoy" notion came from, but I have never once referred to my boyfriend as my boytoy. We have been dating for over a year, and I love him very much, and he is much more than a boytoy.

      Third, who are you to judge how Daniel feels about me? He cares very much for me, I have no idea where you got the idea that he doesn't.

      And finally, you must be someone who knows me to some extent in my everyday life to know I always wear the army bracelet, and you don't have to be anonymous about your opinions. I'm a big girl and can handle knowing whoever it is you are.

      Delete