Thursday, July 19, 2012

Books, books, books. Recent and future reads.

I really wish there were more hours in my day. It seems like I'm always busy nowadays, and I definitely don't read as much as I used to. As a kid, I used to read all the time. I started reading big books when I was young, and I could read a book a day. (And I'm not talking Junie B. Jones! I was reading much bigger books than that.) I would read anything and everything. I was literally obsessed with Harry Potter (an obsession I will never truly be over); I loved the Lord of the Rings novels, Artemis Fowl. I also loved fantasies about princesses and knights. I have an impressive list of biographies that I've also read... I just love reading. I've been trying to find more time to read; these are my recent, current and future reads.


Recent read: The Fellowship of the Ring
 The Fellowship of the Ring is the first (well, second, if you consider The Hobbit to be the first) book in the Lord of the Rings series by J.R.R Tolkien. I first read these books when I was in sixth grade, since I greatly adored the movies, and the books were even better. These are a great read.


Current read: We
  We by Yevgeny Zamyatin is an awesome book about this futuristic "utopian" world. It's very similar to 1984 (which I could never finish because it got too slow), but I would argue that We is much better. The book is relatively short, as well, but I haven't read all of it as of yet. One of the things I like about the book is it was written by a Russian marine engineer in the early 1920s. You hardly find engineers that write fiction! I would like to thank the anonymous commenter from a month or so back that told me about this book!


Future read: A Game of Thrones
  I've gained a new, (albeit less severe than my Harry Potter obsession), obsession with A Game of Thrones (or A Song of Fire and Ice). I absolutely fell in love with the show, and decided since the show was so great, tradition proves the books to be greater. I have a copy of the first book, A Game of Thrones, reserved at my local library, and I am super excited to start this book!

What books have you been reading lately? Let me know in the comments! I will more than likely look into them! (After all, that's how I found out about We!)

Pin It

9 comments:

  1. I totally agree! I need one more day in my week :) I have heard such great things about Game of Thrones!

    XO
    www.pearlsandpaws.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Just a day for reading and relaxation. Game of Thrones is AMAZING. The show itself is excellent, and I started reading the first book last night. I'm about 50-70 pages through, and it's exactly like the tv show up to this point. So far, the book is incredible.

      Delete
  2. I think it would be really fun to read Game of Thrones. I haven't seen the tv show, but I've heard great things about it :)

    ♥ Naomi {Starry Eyes + Coffee Cups}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should, especially if you like fantasy novels. They are excellent!

      Delete
  3. Great Post. I follow your Blog now.
    Please follow me.

    dramaticmode.blogspot.it
    A.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see what you think about Game of Thrones. It's been on my to-read list for a while - I looove the show! :)

    xo,
    Jenna Lynne
    Between the Bind

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The show is incredible. I'll definitely write a review on the book when I'm finished! :D

      Delete
  5. I am honestly not a fan of Tolkien, but I loved the movies, including the changes from the books. I feel they offered more weight to the ring.

    I've loved A Song of Ice and Fire since the beginning. The books are so rich in content. I love going online and picking through forums to see how people discuss the prophecies and how they all come out, not to mention the subtle stuff that's not explained too well.

    As far as what I'm reading, I'm almost done with the Pride, Prejudice, and Zombies trilogy, while waiting somewhat patiently for the final novel in The Wheel of Time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Lord of the Rings movies are excellent. I haven't been online in any forums yet (I'm waiting until I get further along, I don't want to run into spoilers of what I haven't read!), but I am so obsessed with the series. I haven't read Pride, Prejudice and Zombies triolgy, althought Pride and Prejudice is one of my favorite books! I will have to check it out :)

      Delete