Thursday, August 23, 2012

Book Review: A Game of Thrones

NOTE: If you have not read or watched the book/show A Game of Thrones and do not wish to read spoilers, heed the spoiler warnings. This post WILL contain spoilers.



A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin was an excellent book. I watched seasons 1 and 2 of the show before getting into the book series, and I am a HUGE fan of the show. I have fallen in love with the books, and find them to be even better than the show. My "review" here will be comparing the book and the show. 

SPOILERS: To put it simply, A Game of Thrones is about a fight for the Iron Throne; a throne that rules the seven kingdoms of Westeros. There are many claims to the throne, and wars are being fought to claim the throne. There is much more to the book than just war, however. Each character is complex, and the book is seen through what happens with several characters. There are several storylines going on at once, but it is written so masterfully that you never get lost or confused. The characters are so well developed that you grow attached and love them, hate them, cry when they die, etc. It is an extremely well written book,

The first book and the first season of the show are very similar; the first season stays very true to the book. There is a bit more about Lyanna, Ned Stark's late sister and Robert Baratheon's "true love", and the characters are a bit more developed. Joffery is even more horrendous in the books, in my opinion; he often has Sansa hit by his guards, and is much more angry in general. There is also something between Petyr Baleish and Sansa in the books that I don't recall in the show, (to me it seems Lord Baleish is a bit smitten with her, most likely since he could never have her mother). The Hound also seems a bit fond of Sansa. I think Arya is a bit more badass in the books (but a lot of this is developed more as the series progresses. She is a spunky little kid!) You see more into the prophetic dreams that Bran has in the book, though they aren't really explained as such. Dany is of course and lovely as ever, and you get to see more into her and Viserys' past. Overall, I would rate this book a 4/5. (The next book, A Clash of Kings, is just INCREDIBLE, therefore A Game of Thrones gets knocked down a point. The second season of the show also differs from the second book in some respects. Would anyone be interested in A Clash of Kings review?)


Pin It

10 comments:

  1. I've been reading this series, since they were originally published, and its been one heck of a ride. What I like most about the series is how there are stuff he doesn't point out, stuff that is only hinted at.

    Like if you read closely you can spot who Jon's mother really is, and find out there is a TON more story there behind all the lies.

    I think the biggest difference between the books and the series, is there are 'more points of view' in the series. The whore Ros(I think her name is) is almost treated like another point of view entirely to show more angles.

    Love this book series, I just hope the wait for the next book isn't overly horrible....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I know who Jon's parents are (I don't believe Ned is his biological dad), but I know exactly what you mean!

      Delete
  2. I totally meant to read the series over summer break because so many of my friends in school are watching the show...maybe I'll find some time first semester! it sounds great. just wanted to let you know I nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award. check it out! http://marisoldahl.blogspot.com/2012/08/liebster-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great, I totally recommend it! And thank you! <3

      Delete
  3. I really want to read this! I've been meaning to go to my favorite used bookstore to see if they had a copy. Luckily I didn't read the spoilers :) Hope all is well!

    ♥ Naomi {Starry Eyes + Coffee Cups}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All is well, thanks! I've just been soooooo busy with school, it's insane!

      Delete
  4. I love your blog, I look forward to seeing more from you. Do you run any other sites? thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can follow me on twitter, but that's the only other site!

      Delete
  5. I just finished A Game of Thrones and I loved it, your words summed it up perfectly. I'm currently working on the second book, I really like that they continue to get longer! I think the show did an amazing job at sticking to the story and adding in even small details, but the book is even better still!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I meant to write a review of the second and third books but I never did. :/ I absolutely LOVE the second book; it's my favorite out of the ones I've read so far. I can't wait to see the next season of the show to see how true it sticks to the books because it started to stray some in the second season. It's still amazing though!

      Delete