Thursday, November 1, 2012

Star Wars, Episode 7 and beyond.

So, in recent and shocking news, Lucasfilm, creators of the beloved Star Wars franchise, has been bought by Disney. Here is a link detailing the story.

I am a HUGE Star Wars fan, and I am not so sure I am happy about this development. Disney plans on making more Star Wars movies, and I'm just not sure I'm too happy with this. I am a die hard fan of the original three movies, and the newer movies, although awesome, are just not as endearing and amazing to me as the original three. In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, Mark Hamill discusses how he knew Lucasfilm was planning the 7, 8, and 9th Star Wars episodes, but was shocked about Disney's acquisition of the company (here).

I just don't see how the series can be continued on without being a huge disappointment, honestly. If Disney were to go along the lines of what George Lucas envisioned for his next three movies, they may stand a shot, but I don't see how Disney is going to entice fans to jump on board with the new installments. I know many diehards like me are unhappy with the franchise being bought by Disney, and we are going to be very skeptical of the movies that come out, so Disney has to try to win us over, as well as gaining new friends. I think Disney is great, but I'm not entirely sure they can successfully pull this off. Who knows, maybe they'll blow our socks off with three new incredible movies, but I see a lot more to lose here than there is to gain.

 This would be like, in twenty years, J.K. Rowling sells off Harry Potter and they make more movies (although I am certain there will be an extension of those movie in the years to come). This would also give people a lot of mixed feelings. I'm excited, uneasy, and shocked about the movies, all at the same time.

What do you guys think about Disney buying Lucasfilm and the next three installments of the Star Wars series? Feel free to discuss in the comments!


Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Disney has the benefit of having seen what the fan backlash against the prequel trilogy was like. Let's hope the learn from those lessons when crafting the next trilogy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true. Disney is definitely a smart, strategic company, but it just doesn't seem the same now that it isn't owned by Lucasfilm.

      Delete