Thursday, February 28, 2013

My brother, the air traffic controller

"To the outside world, we all grow old. But not to brothers and sisters. We know each other as we always were. We know each other's hearts. We share private family jokes. We remember family feuds and secrets, family griefs and joys. We live outside the touch of time."
 - Clara Ortega

This past weekend, my brother graduated from Army Air Traffic Control school. I drove over to Alabama to see him graduate and to spend a day with him and our family. He was part of a small graduating class of the Army's newest and finest air traffic controllers.

My brother getting his wings pinned on him!
My family and stayed in the most comfortable little cabin on the base. It overlooked a lake, and was in such a gorgeous, wooded area. It stormed most of the time I was there, however.

After my brother's graduation ceremony, my family decided to explore the town of Ozark. We came across an old cemetery, filled with graves of former Confederate Soldiers, Freemasons, and even a Revolutionary War soldier. There were many interesting graves, so after my insistance, we went to the local library and were able to look through very extensive local documents of the families we were interested in learning about. One of the families happened to be the founding family of Ozark, and still holds influence in the town today.

My brother got one day off, so we went to Panama City Beach. We visited Wonderworks, which was a pretty cool place. Our inner devilish child came out on the 360 bike, as well as on the extensive ropes course. They also had some pretty awesome tributes to scientists, which I adored. 

We also visited Ron Jon Surf Shop, and a little local diner, where part of the new musical "East Side Story" was filmed. I'm a huge fan of "West Side Story", so it was pretty amazing! 


It was great seeing my brother graduate, and I'm even more excited that he gets some leave before he ships to Hawaii. Like the quote I put on the post, it's like time hasn't even passed since last seeing him.


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment