Monday, May 20, 2013

STEM links of the week

My regular readers may have noticed that I have not made a "STEM links of the week" post in quite a while, and I am really sorry for that. My semester had gotten so busy that I decided to cut back on my blogging, and I figured that if it came down to posting only one post a week (which oftentimes, it came down to that or less), that I didn't want this to be the only thing I posted. But now I am in the summer semester, and even though I am taking a couple of classes, I have much more free time to blog! Therefore, I feel that now is an appropriate time to bring back the "STEM links of the week feature"!

In addition, I would like to open my blog for my readers to submit articles they would like for me to feature as well. You can comment on any post with the link, and if you have a URL, I'll share that and credit you to have submitted the link. (This will also help keep these posts going if things get crazy bust again.)

Without further adieu, here are this week's STEM links!

Property of Rarest Element on Earth Measured for 1st Time
The ionization potential of astatine (atomic number 85 for those who are curious), was discovered by CERN physicists using artificial isotopes of the element.

Moon Explosion Sparked By Meteorite Crash On Lunar Surface, NASA Says
This article & video describes the March 17 meteorite crash discovered by an analyst at NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center.

Warp Speed, Scotty? Star Trek's FTL Drive May Actually Work
This article & accompanying video describe the theory behind "warp drive" and current efforts by NASA to achieve fast-than-light craft.

Scientists create world's tiniest drops of liquid in biggest atom smasher
Not only has CERN measured the ionization potential of the rarest element of Earth, but they have also created the smallest ever droplets of "liquid", quark-gluon plasma, in the Compact Muon Solenoid.

Let me know what you think of this week's articles! And remember, feel free to share any science, tech, engineering, & math articles with me, and I'll include them in next week's links!
 


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment